Prisma 1 Forum

Prisma Cloud & Heroku - Environments

Hi,

first I :heart: Prisma, great product & community - great to be a part of it, so thanks!

I have a kind of generall question, which I am currently unable to solve on my own. It is regarding prisma-cloud and Heroku. What I try to achieve is having multiple environments - dev& prod.
It would be more then great if I could use the dev environment while developing, therefor I would use prisma deploy dev and fork the prod database to the dev database.
And when the changes are approved I would simply set it to production.

For me it is kind of confusing how to deal with prisma services on prisma cloud. What I tried is to setup a two servers with two databases on the servers tab, but I dont think that this is the right solution.

Unfortunatelly I cannot find a tutorial for that use case, so I hope you guys could shed some light into that!

Thank you

Seems I gave up too fast. Here is how I solved it:

1. Setup a Prisma Server from the “Servers - Tab”
  2. Add new Server and Database on Heroku (prisma-dev)
  3. Go to “Services - Tab”, install prisma cli and authenticate like explained
  4. prisma init NAME select “use existing prisma server” and then select the previously created server (prisma-dev)
  5. prisma deploy
  6. Delete the generated folder and run all steps again for production now
  7. Create .env.devand a .env.prod and add the urls for each environment server

.env.dev

PRISMA_ENDPOINT="URL_DEV"
PRISMA_SECRET="SECRET"
PRISMA_MANAGEMENT_SECRET="ANOTHER_SECRET"  // Not sure about that¹

prisma.yml

endpoint: ${env:PRISMA_ENDPOINT}
secret: ${env:PRISMA_SECRET}
datamodel: datamodel.prisma

generate:
  - generator: typescript-client
    output: ./generated/prisma-client/

¹. Because to deploy to Prisma Cloud you have to login into a user account, I think that the PRISMA_MANAGEMENT_SECRET is automatically set for you.

Can somebody confirm?

Prisma is mainly working in Cloud Server. It is very useful for saving data. For instant support related to the Computer or Laptop Problem such as Data Recover & Virus Removal please visit Contact Geek Squad Support Number for the best solution.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.